Wednesday, December 21, 2011

One of "Those" Days


I take a break from the daily undertaking to post this blog -- for my sanity, and, perhaps (if you are reading this now), yours.

Because -- unbeknownst to me as I woke up bright and early yesterday morning, I was about to embark on one of "those" days.

Ah yes. Crisply on time for school. Early, even. Until Colt decided to fall off a stool and almost break his nose. (I should have scheduled for that). But alas, I didn't.

So now we have a hungry baby, a hungry mommy, a little boy bleeding all over the house, and Christian -- who just ate breakfast -- proclaiming his now trademarked phrase, "I'm hungry, mom. I'm still hungry." (Because two bagels with cream cheese and a banana and a large slice of chocolate cake are apparently just the opening course).

"I think God is trying to tell you something, mom," Katie sagely remarked as I held her hand and walked her in to school. Yes, but WHAT??????

Out went all the day's plans. Insert two trips to the front office of Katie's school (one to check her in late, one to check her out early) and three rounds of x-rays for two separate kids. I think I have my doctor's office convinced that I like to go there daily for the valet parking (which makes me feel fancy) and the stickers for my children's ever-growing doctor's office sticker collection.

"You sure have your hands full," remarked two of the nurses and they watched the gleeful stomping parade. "Don't I know it," I shot back. "And I'm not afraid to admit I need help!"

Home at last, I wrapped up some laundry and whipped the disaster zone of a house back into shape. Until -- what was that smell? Ah yes. A potent mix of mustard gas. Blaize had exploded his diaper -- all over the front. Katie even had to pitch in to help. "I don't think I'm ready to grow up yet," my 7-year-old-going-on-17 untypically remarked, surveying the damage. "Not if it means cleaning up poopy diapers like this."

SIGH. As if watching her mom clean up seven rounds of puke and visiting to the doctor's office five times in a row over the three days before hadn't been inspiring enough.

So I sang a praise song to the Lord, and gave my baby a sink bath. "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing! I will sing! I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing of the mercies of the Lord."

"Mom! Mom! Mom!" Interruption ignored.

"With my mouth, will I make known, thy faithfulness, thy faithfulness! With my mouth, will I make known, thy faithfulness to all generations!"

"Yes, Colt ..." And on to the rest of the day. (Including Diesel the mammoth German Shepherd eating all of the baby's banana puffs DIRECTLY OFF HIS TRAY!) Not to mention the vacuum bag exploding as a Bible Study guest walked in the door.

So what was it? The big lesson Katie had told me God was teaching me? I sat down and at long last caught up on my beloved facebook reading. The clutter was quiet. The children were asleep. The Bible study successful.

"What is Takes to be Great" by Geoffrey Colvin, Fortune magazine, the article my friend Shawn had passed on was entitled. Tell me, oh Geoffrey. Because today was a massive fail. Or was it?

"For most people, work is hard enough without pushing even harder. Those extra steps are so difficult and painful they almost never get done. That's the way it must be. If great performance were easy, it wouldn't be rare."

Those extra steps. Difficult, painful. I reviewed the day. One of "those" days. And yet. My house was now clean. I had folded three loads of laundry, taken three children to the doctor (one to school), read to my children, tended a bloody nose, written for work, visited with a neighbor (and bought Christmas presents without leaving the house!), paid bills, visited the bank, encouraged friends on facebook and inspired others to Christian service, made dinner, watched a movie with my husband, hosted a Bible Study, did the dishes, vacuumed, fattened up my baby, fed my 3rd child to miraculous satisfaction. All with a smile and a laugh and a song of praise. (PS -- I also lost weight and looked nice. True story). And I even was ON TIME!

Not the day I had "planned." But all in all, a great performance. Rare, Christ-empowered, and yes, great.

"You", Shawn's encouragement read on my facebook wall. "Are a legend."

And as my well-loved children arose and called me "beautiful" this morning, I at last knew the lesson that only one of "those" days can teach:

I am no failure. Through Christ who strengthens me, I AM LEGENDARY.

And perhaps, as you fall into the arms of His mercy, and His faithfulness, on one of "those" days, you fill find that you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment